Friday, November 15, 2013

Behind the Backyard Fence™/Heads Will Roll…Literally

Behind the Backyard Fence™
November 15, 2013


Welcome…to life behind the backyard fence™.

I’m not a puppeteer. I don’t even pretend to be one. Just ask my team. But I am the writer and creative consultant for Evergreen Creative Ministries. I try to catch God’s creative vision and implement it into the writing process of bringing our “By the Backyard Fence™”characters to life through words.

But I’m not alone. For these wonderful, quirky and “true to life” characters would not come to life without the talents of our team…the ones who take my written words and add the personality and charm of each character. It is Kristofer, Kristyn and Amanda who truly make the characters come to life!

And so we invite you to join us Behind…The Backyard Fence as we share with you the funny and serious side of our ministry. It is our hope that some of our stories will make you smile, maybe even laugh out loud. Some stories  will be more serious. We will share the good and the not so good of life that happens on this side of the fence. And hopefully all of our stories will encourage you in your relationship with the Lord.

Fast forward. Our first story awaits.

Sharing life from behind the scenes,
Kendra

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kristofer holding Willie's (removable) head.


Behind the Backyard Fence™
November 15, 2013


Heads Will Roll…Literally

 This past Saturday we attended the Creative Ministries Solutions Conference in Perkasie, PA, where we were asked to teach and perform.   Here we were, the first performance of the day.  I had caught the creative vision, relayed it to the team; they caught the vision and ran with it.  Of course, we wanted to do our best. I had pictured this performance in my mind over and over again. We had practiced. There had been many long, late nights. We were prayed up and ready to go.

The performance itself began well. And kudos to the team for usually being able to think fast on their feet to cover up mistakes.

 The “star” of the show was a four foot Bunraku style puppet that Kristofer had built… ‘Willie the pig.’ Those of you who are familiar with puppetry and the stage area know how very dark it can be backstage. Now add a four foot pig strapped to your body. I heard the song begin and from my point of view in the darkened back stage area…it sounded like everything was rolling along smoothly… literally.  The song ended, Kristofer waddled backstage with the pig still attached and the first words out of his mouth were … “Willie’s head fell off at the beginning of the song.” A huge pig head falling off and rolling across the stage was not the creative vision that I had for this song.

As it turned out…while the pig’s head was rolling around on the floor…it was backstage and not out front and Willie made an entrance that ‘seemed’ like it could have been planned.

Who would have thought that the same scene would be repeated not once…but twice more before the performance ended. The second and third times it was a butterfly head. Really?! Needless to say…the butterfly…having lost its head twice…did not make the ‘grand’ entrance that it was suppose to. As I sat, props in hand, watching the head roll…my mind went into fast forward trying to think how to save this song within a few seconds.  As I watched the literal rolling of the heads, I just quietly laid down my props and said, “I’m done.”

So, how did this all turn out? The team rallied.  The butterfly made an entrance…not a grand entrance…but an entrance just the same. Having lost not only its head, but also it’s wing arm rod. So now it could not fly, but only flap. The team finished the song…with no help from me, I might add. I was too busy sitting on the floor surrounded by props and puppet heads feeling like my head might pop off and go rolling also.  

Lesson to be learned. After going out to the van to call my husband and cry long distance to him…he suggested it might be a lesson in character building…ours…not the puppets. How were we going to handle this?

 As it turned out, Kristofer used the experiences in his next two classes that he was teaching. Those of us in this business know that no matter how much you practice and how much you think you have it all together…something can and probably will not go the way you planned. Use it. Laugh about it…later…much later. Share it. It happens to all of us and the ‘God’ lesson is in how we deal with it.
Do we lay down our props and say “I’m done” or do we ‘keep our heads’ and press on, trusting God to work everything out…using the things that could make us come “unglued” to strengthen our character.

Thanks to the team for keeping their heads and their sense of humor to press on.

As for the puppets…nothing a lot of hot glue won’t fix.


Keeping my head!
Kendra